Smart glass technology basically means controlling the transmission of light through the glass by applying electrical power to a PDLC (Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal) panel sandwiched between two panels of glass.
- Instant privacy – Switches from clear to opaque in less than a second thus replacing curtains, shutter blinds and drapes
- UV and heat protection – Blocks more than 98% of UV rays and approximately up to 60% of heat
- Display/advertising – In the off mode it can be used as a rear projection screen with high contrast thus providing digital advertisement
- Creative solution alternative for designers – Allows architects, interior designers and contractors to provide creative design concepts by creating multifunctional spaces and redefining environments
- Various sizes and colors – Available in different sizes, forms and colors to accommodate specific display applications (refer to technical specs sheet) Durable and reliable – Provides a more durable, hygienic and lower maintenance solution
- Low working voltage
HOW IT WORKS
The PDLC panel or “smart film” features two sheets of conductive film that have been coated with liquid crystals and high polymers and an electrical wiring that connects to a transformer, which supplies power for the panel’s operation. Applying electricity to the film rearranges the crystal molecules, allowing light to pass through the film.
In the ON state, the liquid crystal molecules are aligned, which allows light to penetrate through the film. In the OFF state, the liquid crystal molecules are randomly oriented, which makes light unable to penetrate the film, thus turning the smart film opaque.